| Healing Instrument of the Month
Focus on the CELLO
Many people think that the cello, correctly called the violoncello,
descended from the viols, but this isn't true. It originated in the 16th
century as a member of the violin family. In the string family, the cello
has the tenor voice. The cello has changed in size over the past several
centuries, but otherwise it is basically the same. Stradivari was the violin
maker who standardized the size of the modern cello. Many people believe
that the early makers of string instruments, celli included, were single
people, but they were actually families. Skills were passed from generation
to generation. Nicolo is perceived as the best luthier of the Amati family,
and Antonio Stradivari was one of his best students. He later became the
greatest maker of violins and celli.
The cello has great potential as a
healing instrument because of its warm, penetrating tone. Some people feel
that the cello can re-produce a "sobbing" sound and like to listen to cello
solos when they are feeling sad or needing to grieve a loss or a
disappointment. Listen to this example and see what you think.
(Listen to Dvorak)
| A personal note from the Chantdoc
I wanted to brag a little bit about one of my children; my oldest daughter
Julia is a violinist and will be playing this Sunday night, February 29th in
Carnegie Hall. She keeps telling me it is "no big deal" because she's
playing with the Boston Philharmonic, but to me it is a very big deal. For
that reason, I left for NYC this past Thursday and returned on Monday. I would
have loved to have met the New Yorkers among you. Please look at my calendar below -
if you live in any of the cities listed, and would like to arrange
a visit or workshop, please contact me - I will get right back to you.
| What can I do for YOU this year?
For those in the KY, IN, OH, and TN area, I am available to come to your town or city for civic meetings, after-dinner speeches, workshops and inservices. I can work clinically with patients or educationally with staff. Current dates include late March in the Tampa, Florida area and June 20-24 in Calgary, Alberta, Canada. I will be a plenary speaker at an International Wellness Conference at Lake Louise.
I offer regular week-end classes at Healing Music Enterprises here in Louisville on Music with Pregnancy, Music with Surgery, and Music with Alzheimer’s Patients. To get in one of these classes, call 502-895-7688. The cost is $50.00 for a two-hour class of 6-8 people.
February 24, 2004 "The Healing Power of Music" Douglas Boulevard
Christian Church, Louisville.
March 12, 2004 "Toning and Chanting with Addictions" Promises
Laguna (CA) (tentative)
March 13, 2004 "Toning and Chanting: The Beauty of Music as
Therapy" Man to Man Prostate Cancer Support Group, Louisville.
April 22, 2004 "Music and Babies" Staff In-service at Baptist
Hospital East, Louisville.
May 2004 TBA
June 20-24 "Exploring Health and Healing Conference" Lake Louise,
There are many sections and pages on my site www.HealingMusicEnterprises.com. To find what you want, put your cursor in the upper left-hand corner until the slide-out menu appears. Or go directly to the Site map page, for a full page directory at http://www.healingmusicenterprises.com/sitemap.html From there you can find the archived e-zines, articles and interviews with me, media clips from when I was on “The TODAY Show,” “Feelin’Great,” and “Sightings,” and much much more. I now have a Shoppe that sells my book, tapes, and CD, plus books and CD’s from other authors such as my mentor Don Campbell.
As always, I invite you to continue sending in your questions about health and healing using music. Best wishes to you for a happy, healthy and prosperous New Year!
Dr. Cash is available as a keynote speaker, workshop and seminar leader, course educator, and individual "music medicine consultations" with people, as well as other group and individual instruction in using music for healing and promoting health and wellbeing. Go to http://www.healingmusicenterprises.com/services.html for more information.
Attention: Louisvillle Area Health Professionals
Dr. Cash offers classes on a regular basis on:
- How to create music tapes for surgery
- Using music with pregnancy, childbirth and newborns
- Understanding how music affects the Mind-Body-Spirit & applying this to practice
- Toning, Chanting, and Drumming for Health
- Using Music with Alzheimer's Patients
2 -3 hour long classes are offered on demand for four people or more. Class can be booked for Fri am, Sat pm,
& Sun eves. Also private sessions.
Call 502-895-7688 to register or Send an Email .
Dr. Cash offers helpful products to guide you reap the benefits of music for healing.
Each product is expertly created to offer you sound tools for self directed therapeutic music sessions. All purchases are secure and guaranteed.
1. "Notes for Tuning Your Life with Music"
(available as soft cover book or ebook, with CD or Mp3 music supplement)
- BOOK & CD-
(Book - $14.95; CD - $14.95 or Book/CD Combo - $24.95 & S/H)
- EBOOK & Mp3s (Ebook - $8.95; Mp3s - $5/set)
Mp3 Sets include:
- Alzheimer's & Dementia Collection
- Lullaby Collection
- Chant Collection
2. AUDIOTAPES - $10 & S/H -
Tape titles include:
- The Healing Power of Music
- Toning & Chanting with Addictions
- Why Mozart? The Research on Mozart and Learning
- The Use of Music with Alzheimers and other Dementias
- Music for Surgery ($19.95 for two tape set)
3. Healing Music Shoppe Do you have some birthday presents, wedding gifts, or shower gifts to buy? Why not go to my new Healing Music Enterprises Store and buy a book, CD, or even a musical instrument for that special someone? You can get a troubadour harp or a didgeridoo; a djembe, a bongo, or a bagpipe! Now that's a surprise isn't it? Feel free to write me personally for advice on the best instrument for you or your child. We also offer sheet music, music books, musician career services, musical recordings and more.
4. Music Book and CD Library - the place to browse and shop online for Amazon music books, CDs, VHS and DVDs. Hand picked to ensure that content reflects music for healing and well being.
Please feel free to forward this issue to
friends and associates. Anyone can subscribe for free (see below)
Alice H. Cash, Ph.D., LCSW
Healing Music Enterprises
(502) 895-7688 (502) 419-1698 (mobile)
(502) 896-7277 (fax)