Family, Music and the Holidays
No matter which holidays you celebrate: Christmas, Hanukkah, Kwanza or none of the above, chances are you’re going to hear lots of holiday music over the next month and you’re also going to spend some time with family. How do you feel about that? As a therapist, I had to ask. Holiday music is among the most powerful stimulants of memories and feelings. Personally, I love this music and feel energized and nurtured by it. Of course I have my favorites and many songs I enjoy hearing performed by new artists that are not the ones from my childhood. I love the sacred and the secular; the new carols and songs, and the very traditional. Unfortunately, not everyone loves holiday music because of their own memories of someone dying at this time of year, or perhaps a childhood filled with drunk adults fighting and creating havoc. Every year I have some clients and patients who tell me they do not want me to play it during our music therapy time. Usually I end up doing an individual session with that person later because I respect and understand what they are saying.
From early childhood, we hear this holiday music and many of our mental images of Santa or Baby Jesus, or whatever are based on songs we sang in early childhood. If these are positive memories for you, I urge you to indulge! Buy yourself some new CD’s or join a neighborhood group of carolers. Nursing homes often will welcome most any volunteer group of musicians that will come and sing or play instruments. Get together with friends at your office or neighborhood party and sing these songs that have brought great joy to people for hundreds of years.
Your immune system will get a boost, your endorphins will be flowing and you’ll feel good about yourself! What more could you want? See you next month!
As always, please contact me with any questions about this or any other music-related topic!
Music and the Brain
More exciting research just in! To understand more about the multitudinous benefits of growing up in a home with good music, go to the following website address. It really does make a difference!
At the conclusion of every workshop and presentation that I give, I hand out an evaluation to determine what people liked the best and what ideas they will use first.
This month I have three new sets of evaluations for my readers to enjoy in the Testimonials section of the HME web site at:
| Chantdoc may soon be visiting an area near you!
March 26, 2004 - Tampa, Florida - “The Healing Power of Music” at the Center for Conscious Living - Contact PatCCL@cs.com
February 2004 Santa Fe, New Mexico - topic pending
July, 2004 - Alberta, Canada - joint conference with Scripps Center for Integrative Medicine - topic pending
Date undecided: Washington, D.C. area - “Music in the Golden Years”
Read about the newest Calendar updates!
Have YOU done all of YOUR Christmas shopping? I know I haven’t and I’ll be getting lots of musical gifts for people. Everything you could want from CD’s, books on Healing with Music, instruments, and books of music are there. Check it out!
Dr. Cash is available as a keynote speaker, workshop and seminar leader, course educator, and individual "music medicine consultations" with people, as well as other group and individual instruction in using music for healing and promoting health and wellbeing. Go to http://www.healingmusicenterprises.com/services.html for more information.
Attention: Louisvillle Area Health Professionals
Dr. Cash offers classes on a regular basis on:
- How to create music tapes for surgery
- Using music with pregnancy, childbirth and newborns
- Understanding how music affects the Mind-Body-Spirit & applying this to practice
- Toning, Chanting, and Drumming for Health
- Using Music with Alzheimer's Patients
2 -3 hour long classes are offered on demand for four people or more. Class can be booked for Fri am, Sat pm,
& Sun eves. Also private sessions.
Call 502-895-7688 to register or Send an Email .
Dr. Cash offers helpful products to guide you reap the benefits of music for healing.
Each product is expertly created to offer you sound tools for self directed therapeutic music sessions. All purchases are secure and guaranteed.
1. "Notes for Tuning Your Life with Music"
(available as soft cover book or ebook, with CD or Mp3 music supplement)
- BOOK & CD-
(Book - $14.95; CD - $14.95 or Book/CD Combo - $24.95 & S/H)
- EBOOK & Mp3s (Ebook - $8.95; Mp3s - $5/set)
Mp3 Sets include:
- Alzheimer's & Dementia Collection
- Lullaby Collection
- Chant Collection
2. AUDIOTAPES - $10 & S/H -
Tape titles include:
- The Healing Power of Music
- Toning & Chanting with Addictions
- Why Mozart? The Research on Mozart and Learning
- The Use of Music with Alzheimers and other Dementias
- Music for Surgery ($19.95 for two tape set)
3. Healing Music Shoppe Do you have some birthday presents, wedding gifts, or shower gifts to buy? Why not go to my new Healing Music Enterprises Store and buy a book, CD, or even a musical instrument for that special someone? You can get a troubadour harp or a didgeridoo; a djembe, a bongo, or a bagpipe! Now that's a surprise isn't it? Feel free to write me personally for advice on the best instrument for you or your child. We also offer sheet music, music books, musician career services, musical recordings and more.
4. Music Book and CD Library - the place to browse and shop online for Amazon music books, CDs, VHS and DVDs. Hand picked to ensure that content reflects music for healing and well being.
Please feel free to forward this issue to
friends and associates. Anyone can subscribe for free (see below)
Alice H. Cash, Ph.D., LCSW
Healing Music Enterprises
(502) 895-7688 (502) 419-1698 (mobile)
(502) 896-7277 (fax)